Saturday, May 16, 2015

Three Little, Two Little, One Little Gosling

I drive by The Rez most mornings on my way to work. It's a good time to see the heron, ducks, and geese. For the past 5 or 6 years, I have been able to see a Mr. Grander, Mrs. Goose, and their little flock of  goslings. This year I hadn't seen the geese, until yesterday.
I drove slowly around the circle road that goes by the south edge of The Rez and was disappointed not to see any wildlife—with the exception of a few squirrels and a sparrow or two. I was about ready to speed up and go on in to work when movement on the southwest edge of the water caught my eye. 
 Mr. and Mrs. Goose were hanging out by the bench, but where were all the babies? There was only one little gosling where there were normally 9 or 10. I wonder what happened to the others or the eggs. Some catastrophy must have occurred. I wondered if some critter got them. Sad.
 Mom and Pop were keeping an eye on me, even though I wasn't anywhere near. I was in the car parked up on the road. I had to lean precariously over the passenger seat to get these shots without scaring them away.
Eventually, Pop started eating again...
 ...but Mom remained vigilant.
 She didn't take her eyes off me.
 Until they decided to return to their nest.
Baby lagged behind for one last bit of food. So cute!

No comments:

Post a Comment